Published Jan 20, 2017Donald Trump takes office today (January 20), but many in the indie rock world aren't giving him a particularly warm welcome. Another anti-Trump project has been launched in support of Planned Parenthood, the ACLU and 350.org, and this one arrives in the form of a compilation album called Battle Hymns.
It's helmed by Sleater-Kinney drummer Janet Weiss and her Quasi bandmate Sam Coomes, and in addition to contributions from Quasi, fellow Sleater-Kinney members Carrie Brownstein (with Katie Harkin as MEDS) and Corin Tucker (with Filthy Friends) also appear on the record.
Mac McCaughan, Boss Hog, Pavement frontman Stephen Malkmus, Mary Timony, New Pornographers' Carl Newman and Built to Spill's Doug Martsch also signed on for the project.
You can see the full tracklisting down below — including especially pertinent messages like "Happy New Year (Prince Can't Die Again)", "Love in the Time of Resistance," "NO DIVISION" and "Fuck 2016."
Proceeds from Battle Hymns will be evenly split between the aforementioned organizations, and the album can be purchased pay-what-you-can style over here.
1. Love Always (Kathy Foster) - "We Won't Go Back"
2. Mac McCaughan - "Happy New Year (Prince Can't Die Again)"
3. Boss Hog - "Save Our Soul"
4. Stephen Malkmus - "Midnight Cruisers"
5. Drew Grow - "Time Bomb"
6. MEDS (Carrie Brownstein and Katie Harkin) - "No More Fizz"
7. Mary Timony - "Fight The Hate"
8. Quasi - "Ballad of Donald Duck & Elmer Fudd"
9. Libraness (Ash Bowie) - "A Kind of Survival"
10. Filthy Friends (Corin Tucker, Peter Buck, Scott McCaughey, Kurt Bloch, Bill 11. Rieflin) - "Love In The Time of Resistance"
12. Carl Newman - "Our Nero"
13. Rebecca Gates - "NO DIVISION"
14. Doug Martsch - "Fuck 2016"
15. Sean Croghan - "Spider House"